Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I set up a generic email account for my department/program?
Information Commons is responsible for creating generic email accounts. Please visit their website at http://help.ic.utoronto.ca/solution_id_1262.html for instructions on setting up an account for your department.
Q: How do I set up a listserv?
Q: How do I terminate my account in ShareFile?
It’s pretty simple:
- Take a local backup of all your data from your ShareFile account.
- Send the request to the Discovery Commons service desk to terminate your account
- Your account will be disabled for one month, and then will be deleted
Q: How do I webcast a student event from MSB-3153 or MSB-3154 classroom to other members watching over the internet?
Please contact Discovery Commons for complimentary consultation on how to setup an open source free program using the in room AV equipment. Alternatively Discovery Commons has an professional solution available, contact us about service fees.
Q: How do staff / faculty awaiting their appointment get their UTORid?
These UTORids are necessary for to persons who have been engaged by the Faculty of Medicine as graders, preceptors, clinical supervisors and staff but, who have not yet received their appointments. If you fall into this category, (and do not yet appear in HRIS), your sponsoring department, should request a standard UTORid through Discovery Commons. While you await your appointment, Discovery Commons can issue your UTORid which with enable you to access Blackboard only. Full access to the University’s libraries, wireless system and teaching stations are granted when the business officer of your sponsoring department completes your HRIS profile.
Q: How do the student microphones in the videoconference lecture theatres work?
A student presses the microphone button in front of them to alert the professor they have a question. The Take Next button on the lectern lights up in blue and a red light turns on just above the centre monitor to indicate there is a student question. The professor presses the button and waits for a few seconds until they hear the student question.
Q: I am getting a Samsung Error: “Network disabled because Internet connection is slow.”
The Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3, and some other Samsung phones have a connection feature known as “Auto Network Switch” which may cause the "Network disabled because Internet connection is slow" error to occur. This "Auto Network Switch" setting will need to be disabled in order to connect to the card. To do this:
1. Open your phone's settings
2. Press the WiFi on the phone
3. Select Advanced and scroll down to the Auto Network Switch option
4. Uncheck the Auto Network Switch option.
5. Exit and this should fix the error.
Other Android devices may have slightly different options. Look for 'Check for internet service' or 'Avoid poor networks' in your Wifi and advanced Wifi settings and make sure that these are also disabled.
Q: I am in a course which uses SPSS software; does this facility have a place with the software installed?
Certain software titles (SPSS, SAS, etc.) may be available on certain subsets of our computer lab computers; to find out more, contact the Service Desk.
Q: I am unable to open folders in ShareFile on my desktop
You may need to uninstall and reinstall the tool.
- Completely end the sync engine process by following these steps:
- Right click on the task bar at the bottom of your screen and choose 'Start Task Manager'
- Under the 'Processes' tab find 'Syncengine.exe*32', highlight and choose 'End Process'
- Delete the Configuration file:
- Press the Windows key and 'R' simultaneously on your keyboard
- Enter '%appdata%' and press enter
- Navigate to ShareFile\SyncEngine\sfconfig and delete this file
- Once this is completed, uninstall and reinstall ShareFile.
Q: I can log in with my UTORid but cannot access the web application?
You may not have the correct authorizations to view the web application content. Please contact the system administrator to confirm your UTORid and authorization.