Presentation and File Upload Tool
For any videoconferenced lectures, the presentation needs to be put on the podium PC at both of the connected lecture rooms in advance of the lecture. To facilitate this, Discovery Commons has developed a tool for the transfer of presentations from lecturers to technical staff. Emailing presentations is not recommended, as they are frequently too large to email, and furthermore, they may not end up on both podiums for your lecture time.
If you are using any of the following in your presentation, please upload your presentation at least four working days in advance of your scheduled lecture as we require some time to configure questions and test media content:
- Audience Response System (ARS)
- Links to internet content
If your presentation is very basic and includes only text and small images, please upload your presentation at least two working days in advance of your scheduled lecture
Use this tool to upload your:
- zipped folders that include your Powerpoints and associated files.
- video files.
- audio files.
The maximum size for any one file to be uploaded is one gigabyte (GB). This should be large enough for your powerpoints and any associated media, but if your files are larger, please call 416-978-8504 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once uploaded, your files will be:
- tested on the podium in the room that you will be teaching in to ensure that all elements are present and display and play properly
- sent to the other site for back-up in case the videoconference fails and the presentation must be manually advanced there
- saved as PDFs for inclusion in the print-out for students
Files accepted are:
- Powerpoint (.ppt, .pptx)
- Keynote (.key)
- text (.txt, .pdf, .doc, .docx))
- picture (.jpg, .gif)
- video (.mov, .avi, .wma, .wmv)
- compressed (.zip)
Note: If you have a presentation, such as a Powerpoint, from which you play videos or that contains linked images, these should all be sent together in a compressed (zipped) folder.
There are detailed instructions below if you're unfamiliar with zipping files.
To use the tool, do the following:
- Open the link: UTMedfiles.ca
- Enter the letters that appear on the coloured background into the textbox and click Enter.
Note that these are all letters, not numbers
- Enter the required information into the textboxes and dropdown list.
If you don't know the name of the course in which you are lecturing, click Course Dates and Information to get a list of course names and the dates that they run.
- Enter any special requests or comments relevant to your presentation.
- Click the Add a File to Upload button.
- In the box that opens, navigate to your presentation file and select it.
- Repeat step 5 to add another file to the Files to upload list.
- Click the Upload now button when you are finished choosing your files. Wait for your upload session confirmation before closing this window
Both you and technical/administrative staff will receive an email confirmation that your files were uploaded.
- Make a new folder and name it: Yourname.
- If you have a presentation with linked videos or images, include all video and image files in the folder.
- On a PC: Right-click on the folder, point to: Send to, then select compressed (zipped) folder.
On a Mac: Right-click on the folder and select Compress Yourname, or on the top menu point to File and selectCompress Yourname.
- Use the Presentation Upload tool (UTMedfiles.ca) to send the compressed folder