Security While Working Remotely
Top 5 Things to Help Keep you Secure While Working Remotely
Staying safe online can seem like an overwhelming, complex, and never ending process. If you've implemented these 5 tips, you'll be taking a significant step forward in helping minimize risks when you're online.. Please don't hesitate to contact our Service Desk if you have questions.
- Limit your work activities to a specific set of devices where possible.
- Store your electronic files in University approved storage solutions that have back up features attached to them - do not store them on your personal devices and do not just keep them on your work device. Solutions include: OneDrive and the Discovery Commons' managed shared network folders (the "N:" drive).
- Keep all of your devices and software that may access the Internet up to date. This rule applies to almost any technology connected to a network, not just your work devices.
- Ensure that you've set your password recovery options for your UTORid. Go here , look under the Password and Account Management heading, and select "set up your password reset/account recovery options"
- Implement the CIRA Canadian Shield. More information on the CIRA Canadian Shield can be found here.
Other Helpful Resources:
University of Toronto resources provided by the Information Security and Enterprise Architecture (ISEA) group.
Security Planner recommendations are made by a committee of experts in digital security and have gone through a rigorous peer review evaluation, led by the Citizen Lab. They are supported by a community of organizations, including non-profits, educational institutions, and foundations, and never accept funds or services in exchange for making a recommendation.
The Government of Canada provides the Cyber Centre website as a resource for all Canadians. The Cyber Centre is the single unified source of expert advice, guidance, services and support on cyber security for government, critical infrastructure owners and operations, the private sector and the Canadian public.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.